Michael A. Fiddy
Professor of Physics and Optical Science and of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Research and Teaching Interests
- Fundamentals of both electromagnetic wave interactions from ULF to visible frequencies and vacuum fluctuations with matter.
- Propagation, scattering and momentum transfer in complex materials, including structured and disordered materials, linear and nonlinear materials and soft-matter and biomaterials.
- Inverse problems for high resolution imaging, field management and structured bianisotropic material design.
PhD in Physics, University of London 1977
BS in Physics, first class honors University of London 1973
- 2002- Professor, Physics & Optical Science and of ECE, UNC Charlotte
- 2016-2020 Program Manager, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Defense Sciences Office
- 2011-2016 Site Director, NSF Industry-University Collaborative Research Center for Metamaterials
- 2010 Visiting Professor, Nanophotonics Laboratory, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and Erskine Visiting Fellow, Electrical Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- 2002-2010 Founding Director, Center for Optoelectronics & Optical Communications, UNC Charlotte
- 1994-2001 Head of Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, UML
- 1991-2001 Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UML
- 1987-1991 Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Eng., UMass Lowell
- 1985-1986 Visiting Associate Professor in Mathematics Department, Catholic University of America, Washington, D. C.
- 1982,1983 Visiting Associate Professor, Institute of Optics, U. of Rochester
- 1979-1987 Faculty, Physics Dept., Kings College, London Univ. (tenured)
Service to the Technical Community
- OSA Board of Directors 2014 & 2015; past OSA Meetings Council Member and Chair
- OIDA Advisory Board and Council 2011-2015
- Editor-in-Chief, Waves in Random and Complex Media, 1996-2016
- Deputy Editor, Photonics Research, 2013-2017.
- Topical Editor, Signal and Image Processing, Optical Society of America A, 1994-2001.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Communications Society, 2004-7, Charlotte Chapter.
- SPIE and OSA conference/topical meeting organizer
- OSA Leith and Richardson Medal Committees
- New England Chapter of SPIE; Treasurer 1992-1994; President 1994-1996, Past President 1996-98.
- SPIE ESTeP Committee 2006-2008
- DARPA Meritorius Public Service Medal
- Fellow of SPIE
- Fellow of OSA,
- Fellow Inst. of Physics (UK),
- Fellow Electromagnetics Academy
- Senior Member IEEE
- UMass Lowell Outstanding Graduate Educator of the year.
- UMass Lowell ECE Department Teaching Excellence Award.
- Andrewes Prize in Physics, University of London.
Dudley, R. A. and M. A. Fiddy, “Engineered Materials and Metamaterials: Design and Fabrication”, SPIE Press, published March 2017, ISBN-10 1510602151
Fiddy, M. A. and Ritter, S., Introduction to Imaging from Scattered Fields, CRC Press November 2014, ISBN 13:978-1-4665-6958-4.
Some book chapters
Sheih, M., C. L., Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, “Resolution Enhancement using Prior Information” in Image Restoration: Fundamentals and Advances, Ed. B. Gunturk, CRC/Taylor and Francis Press, Chapter 4, (2012).
Fiddy, M. A., “Slow light for sensing”, Photonic Bandgap Structures: a Novel Technological Platform Physical, Chemical and Biological Sensing, Ed. M. Pisco, A. Cusano and A. Cutolo, Bentham Press, Chapter 6, (2012), pp 118-134.
Testorf, M. E and M. A. Fiddy, “Superresolution Imaging: Revisited”, Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics, Ed. P. W. Hawkes, Vol 163, ch 5, pp166-218, Academic Press, (2010).
Fiddy, M. A. and H. J. Caulfield, “The significance of phase and information”, Ch 17 in “Tribute to Emil Wolf”, T. P. Jannson Editor, SPIE Press, 2005, pp363-378.
Caulfield, H. J. and M. A. Fiddy, “Backward thinking: holography and the inverse problem”, Ch. 19, in Tribute to Emil Wolf”, T. P. Jannson Editor, SPIE Press, 2005, pp401-420.
Abbiss, J.B., M. A. Fiddy and R. Steriti, “Image Restoration on the Hopfield Neural Network”, ch 1 in Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics, Ed. P.W. Hawkes, Academic Press, pp1-48, 1994.
Fiddy, M.A. and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Editors, “Optical Signal Processing”, monograph published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.
Fiddy, M. A., “Linearized and approximate methods for inversion of scattered field data”, in ‘Inverse Problems in Scattering and Imaging’, Ed. M. Bertero and E.R. Pike, Adam Hilger Press, pp23-46, 1992
Fiddy, M. A., “The Role of Analyticity in Image Recovery,” in Image Recovery: Theory and Applications, Ed. H. Stark, Academic Press, Florida, pp. 499-529, 1987.
Ross, G., M.A. Fiddy and M. Nieto-Vesperinas,”The inverse scattering problem in structural determinations”, in ‘Inverse Scattering Problems in Optics’, Ed. H.P. Baltes, Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp15-71, 1980.
Some recent publications (> 160 refereed papers, > 370 conference publications)
D. Fullager, R. Hegde, M.A. Fiddy, “Simulation and Observation of Enhanced Emission from Patterned Hyperbolic Metamaterials, Applied Physics A 122 (4), 1-4, 2016.
N. Wongkasem, C. Soemphol, M. A. Fiddy and S. Kitchin, “Electromagnetic responses of curved fishnet structures: near-zero refractive index with lower loss”, J. Optics, vol 18, 025102, 2016.
W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “Impact of Non-Zero Effective Surface Sources on Negative Index Perfect Lenses”, J. Basic and Applied Physics, Vol. 4, issue 3, pp.40-48, 2015.
L. Beilina, M. Klibanov, T. Nuygen and M. A. Fiddy, “Imaging of buried objects from experimental backscattering time dependent measurements using a globally convergent inverse algorithm”, SIAM Journal of Imaging Sciences, Vol 8, No 1, pp 757-786, 2015.
H. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Polarization-dependent bandwidth in low-index plasmonic metamaterials”, Applied Optics, 53, pp8043-8048, 2014.
H. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Nanoantennas for nanowire photovoltaics”, Applied Physics Letters, 105 (11), 113107, 2014.
R. Tsu and M. A. Fiddy, “Waves in man-made materials: superlattice to metamaterials”, Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol 24, No. 3, pp250-263, 2014.
L. Beilina, M. Klibanov, T. Nuygen and M. A. Fiddy, “Reconstruction of the refractive index from experimental backscattering data using a globally convergent inverse method”, SISC-SIAM, vol 36, B273-293, 2014.
L. Beilina, N.T. Nuygen, M. V. Klibanov and M. A. Fiddy, “Reconstruction from blind experimental data for an inverse problem for a hyperbolic equation”, Inverse Problems, Vol 30, 025002, 2014.
R. Hegde, M. A. Fiddy and W. J. R. Hoefer, “The Reconstruction of finite extent objects with the Superlens”, Applied Physics A, DOI 10.1007/s00339-014-8466-4, 2014.
H. Alisafaee, M. A. Fiddy, “Polarization insensitivity in epsilon-near-zero metamaterial from plasmonic aluminum-doped zinc oxide nanoparticles” J. Nanophoton., 8, 1, 083898 2014.
H. Alisafaee, J. Marmon, M. A. Fiddy, “Spectral properties of Au–ZnTe plasmonic nanorods” Photonics Research Journal, 2, 1, 10-14, 2014.
M. A. Fiddy and U. Shahid, “Legacies of the Gerchberg-Saxton algorithm”, Ultramicroscopy, 134, pp 48-54, 2013.
R. Tsu and M. A. Fiddy, “Generalization of the effects of high Q for metamaterials”, Photonics Research, 1, issue 2, pp 77-87, 2013.
W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “On the negative index perfect lens with loss”, J. Basic and Applied Physics, Vol 2, issue 3, pp 122-126, 2013.
Y-Chen Chuang, R. Dudley and M. A. Fiddy, “A New Approach to A Practical Subwavelength Resolving Microscope”, Applied Physics A, DOI 10.1007/s00339-013-7741-0, 2013.
J. S. D. Roberts, H. Alisafaee and M. A. Fiddy, “Selective field localization in random structured media,” Applied Optics 52, p742, 2013.
A.V. Kuzhuget, L. Beilina, M.V. Klibanov, A. Sullivan, L. Nguyen and M.A. Fiddy, Quantitative image recovery from measured blind backscattered data using a globally convergent inverse method, IEEE Transactions of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 2937-2948, 2013.
A. V. Kuzhuget, L. Beilin, M. V. Klibanov, A. Sullivan, L. Nguyen and M. A. Fiddy “Blind experimental data for imaging of explosive-like targets by an approximately globally convergent inverse algorithm” Inverse Problems vol 28, 095007, 2012.
Y. Zhang, Yi-Chen Chuang, J. O. Schenk and M. A. Fiddy, “Study of scattering patterns and subwavelength scale imaging based on finite-sized metamaterials Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, v 107, n 1, p 61-69, 2012.
M. Woldeyohannes, J. O. Schenk, R. P. Ingel, S. P. Rigdon, M. Pate, J. D. Graham, M. Clare, W. Yang, andM. A. Fiddy “Internal Field Distribution Measurement in 1-D Strongly Anisotropic Sub-Wavelength PeriodicStructures of Finite Length”, Optics Express 19, issue 1, pp 81-92, 2011.
J. Li, Y. Zhang, T. Mei and M. A. Fiddy, “Surface plasma laser based on metal cavity array with two different modes”, Optics Express 18, No 23, p23626-23632, 2010.
C. Yan, D. H. Zhang, Y. Zhang, D. Li and M. A. Fiddy, “Metal-dielectric composite metamaterials for beam splitting and deep sub-wavelength resolution in the far-field” Optics Express 18, No 14, p14794-14801, 2010.
J. O. Schenk, M. A. Fiddy and W. Yang, “Imaging with a metamaterial “imperfect” lens”, Chinese J. Optics and Applied Optics, 3, p45-51, 2010.
Y. Zhang, X. Zhang, Ting Mei, and M.A. Fiddy, “ Negative index modes in surface plasmon waveguides: a study of the relations between lossless and lossy cases“, Optics Express 18, No 12, p12213-12225, 2010.
M. A. Fiddy and R. Tsu, “Understanding metamaterials”, Waves in Random and Complex Media, vol 20, issue 2, pp202-222, 2010.
M. V. Klibanov, M. A. Fiddy, L. Beilina, N. Pantong and J. O. Schenk, “Picosecond scale experimental verification of a globally convergent algorithm for a coefficient inverse problem”, Inverse Problems, 26, 045003 , 2010.
H. M. Shieh, Y-C Hsu, C. L. Byrne and M. A. Fiddy, “Resolution enhancement of imaging small scaled portions of a compactly-supported function” JOSA A 27, p141-150, 2010.
K. Sinchuk, R. Dudley, R. Ingel, J. O. Schenk, W. Yang and M. A. Fiddy, “Effective negative index and negative group index of metamaterials with large form birefringence”, Optics Express 18, No 2, p 463-472, 2010.