- The Sonoran Dynasty in Mexico: Revolution, Reform, and Repression. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2023.
- The Mexican Revolution: A Documentary History. Ed., with Timothy Henderson. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett Publishing, 2022.
- The Once and Future Revolution: Social Upheaval and the Negotiation of Rule during Mexico’s Long Twentieth Century (with Gilbert M. Joseph). Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2013. History Book Club selection, in second printing.
- The Last Caudillo: Alvaro Obregón and the Mexican Revolution. Chichester, England: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Aftershocks: Earthquakes and Popular Politics in Latin America. Ed., with Lyman L. Johnson. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2009.
- State Governors in the Mexican Revolution, 1910-1952: Portraits in Conflict, Courage, and Corruption. Ed., with William H. Beezley. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2009.
- Mexican Mosaic: A Brief History of Modern Mexico. Wheeling, IL: Harlan Davidson, 2008.
- Plutarco Elías Calles and the Mexican Revolution. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2006.
- Mexico OtherWise: Modern Mexico in the Eyes of Foreign Observers. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2005.
- Tools of Progress: A German Merchant Family in Mexico City , 1865-present. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2004 (also published in German as Werkzeuge des Fortschritts: Eine deutsche Händlerfamilie in Mexiko von 1865 bis zur Gegenwart. Stuttgart: Verlag Dieter Heinz, 2002).
- In the Shadow of the Giant: The Making of Mexico’s Central America Policy, 1876-1930. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1996.
19th and 20th century Mexico: political economy, political violence, immigration, Mexico in world affairs, Mexican Revolution.
- CAPI 2100/LBST 2101 Introduction to Capitalism Studies
- CAPI 4050 Capitalism Studies Capstone
- HIST 2207/LTAM 2207 Modern Latin America
- HIST 3002/LTAM 3164 Latin American Political Economy
- HIST 3010/LTAM 3360 History and Culture through Film
- HIST 3176/LTAM 3276 History of Mexico
- HIST 4600/LTAM 4600 Latin American in the Cold War
- HIST 6000/LTAM 6000 Latin America in the Era of Globalization
- HIST 6000/LTAM 6000 The United States and Mexico
- HIST 6201/LTAM 6251 Colloquium in Colonial Latin American History
- HIST 6202/LTAM 6252 Colloquium in Modern Latin American History
- LTAM 6300 Latin American Thought
My graduate advisees have been accepted to Ph.D. programs at Columbia University, Emory University, Georgetown University, University of New Mexico, University of Nebraska, University of Notre Dame, Florida International University, University of Alabama, University of Maryland, Texas Christian University, and University of Texas at Austin.
Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1993
I am currently working on a book on U.S.-Mexican relations, a collection of essays on anti-Catholicism in Mexico, and second editions of two of my previous books.
Major Professional Service:
I am the editor of Viewpoints: Puntos de Vista: Themes and Interpretations in Latin American History, a book series with Wiley-Blackwell and co-editor of “The Americas in the World,” a book series with the University of New Mexico Press.
I am Editor-in-Chief of The Latin Americanist.