Software and Information Systems
- Ph.D., Information Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2012
- M.S., Software, Tsinghua University, 2006
Dr. Xi “Sunshine” Niu is an Associate Professor at the Department of Software and Information Systems. She also holds a joint appointment at the Department of Business Information Systems & Operations Management (BISOM) at Belk College of Business.
Dr. Niu’s research is in the intersection of data and text analytics, knowledge discovery, search behavior, and interactive information retrieval. Her recent projects include text mining for serendipitous recommendation, transaction log analysis of e-commerce websites, and analyzing user-generated contents. She has substantial experience in analyzing online user behavior to generate insights about user experience. She has published many refereed research papers in top journals and conferences. She has won several grants and awards from different sources including NSF.
Her specialties include:
• Knowledge discovery in data and text
• Quantitative analysis of large-scale user behavior data
• Transaction log analysis
• Interactive information retrieval
• User studies